Wednesday, March 07, 2012

My Active Rest Day


Hi everyone! I hope you are all having a wonderful Wednesday! Keep going, you're half way through your week! (:

Today I want to talk about planning at least one rest day or active rest day per week. It's super important to let your body have a break from all of its normal training. Once you're into an awesome workout routine, sometimes it can be tempting to not take any rest days to let your body recover. I know there have been times in my past where I would grind it hard in the gym seven days a week but with time, it just made me tired and I wasn't able to work out as hard as I would like to because my body was never getting a break.

Plan in your mind and schedule on your calendar your rest day just like you would your workouts. I usually like to schedule my rest day on Sunday and when I do this, it makes me push myself even harder during the week because I know I will get a break at the end of the week.

Feel free to take the day completely off of exercise, this can be especially good if you are really tired or sore from your weekly workouts, or you can take an active rest day, which is what I like to do. An active rest day simply means that you will do some kind of low intense, physical activity that is different from what you normally do. Go for a relaxing hike, swim, and bike ride or take a yoga or pilates class, etc. If the weather allows, I personally like to get outside, get some healthy vitamin D and breathe in the fresh air.

This past Sunday, on my active rest day, I went for a two mile walk outside with my Mom around a local University in North Carolina. Boy did I need this rest day! I worked out my quadriceps and legs really hard on Friday and then chest and triceps on Saturday and was so sore by the time Sunday rolled around!



Click here to watch this video live!



Mom and I being silly and striking a pose before going on our outdoor walk.
Doesn't she look sassy with her hand on her hip? Aha ha! (:


North Carolina State University
My Mom used to work at NCSU before she retired and this was the first time she had been back on campus since her last day of work.

Wolves and wolf packs represent the mascot at NCSU. Here I am posing 
with a howling one on campus.


Here is my Mom in a garden area they have on campus.


The famous Bell Tower that was built in memory of veterans in World War I.
Most graduates get their picture taken here after the ceremony.
Wasn't it a gorgeous day?


NSCU is known for having an amazing school of design. I just love this message.
"All design begins with the dance of life".


Then, after our two mile walk, we decided to go to the famous Cup A Joe and get a cup a joe! (:


My Mom got a mocha latte which had espresso, steamed milk and flavor. I got a double espresso with steamed soy milk. Yum!


I highly recommend checking out Cup A Joe off Hillsborough Street in Raleigh! They roast their own coffee beans and it's an amazing little place. It's far from fancy but I like that!



Lots of love!
xx
Liz

3 comments:

  1. Hola Liz ! I really love your vidz and you re really inspiring, so I made a blog, about health, sports, cooking, beauty and so on. http://vamonosblog.blogspot.com .
    I'm French btw ;)
    Hope you will come.
    XOXOOOO

    Shana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz!
    I'm so glad you are back and you seem happier than ever. It has been awhile since I posted my last video, but I am back now. Things have been really hectic with school but I am 2 months from graduating from a B.S in nutrition & Dietetics.
    I have created a blog as well, so you are welcome to check it out.
    www.KristenMee.com
    I hope you are having a great time with your mom.

    Much love,

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous17.3.12

    Liz I have been wanting a new video on your Chsrmed Elegance page but I see your on holiday in the states? When will you be back??? I hope all is well, you and your Mom look great! Are you loving the warm weather we seem to be getting in NC? I am by Raleigh at the AFB since I am military. Take Care!

    ReplyDelete