Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Oblique Exercise: Side Plank w/ Raise


I recently discovered and tried this abdominal exercise and love it! I don't know about you but I'm always looking for new exercises to target and strengthen my obliques. I'm a huge fan of the abdominal plank so that's probably another reason I love this move!

This move can be done with or without the use of a dumbbell. If it's your first time doing this move, I suggest doing the move without the dumbbell. That's what I did the first time and it still made me sore!

Target Muscles:
Obliques

 It's kind of hard to tell by this photo but the internal and external obliques are shown on the lower left.


Deltoids
Like sexy shoulders? This move can help in that area too!



Instructions


Set Up: Lie on your side with your legs stacked and your lower forearm resting on the floor. Hold a light dumbbell in your other hand [A].


[A]


Action: Lift your hips from the floor to bring your body into a straight line [B].


[B]

Action: Next, lift the weight towards the ceiling until your arm is straight [C]. Slowly lower the weight, then your hips, to return to the start. Repeat for 10 reps, then flip over and do the same with your other arm. Aim for three sets on each side.

[C]


If you'd like to see me demonstrate this exercise, click here to view my YouTube video.
Happy Training!
Lots of love!
xx
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment