Thursday, February 17, 2011

What I've Been Eating Lately...

Hi everyone!

I’m so sorry that it has been so long since I have posted to my blog! I’ve been so busy but instead of boring you with those details, I will get straight to this blog post! (:

I was thinking about what to make this blog post about and decided to show you what I’ve been buying biweekly at the local fruit and vegetable market and also what I’ve been eating lately.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of you know that I eat a raw low fat vegan diet but in case you are new to my blog and YouTube videos, I’ll go ahead and break it down for you.

What is raw low fat vegan aka RLFV, 80/10/10, or 811, you ask?

RAW:

I only consume uncooked foods. No animals in nature cook their food or need to cook their food to have optimal health and performance. Why should we?

LOW FAT:

I eat a raw living diet that is low in fat (and protein). I get my energy from delicious fruit instead of from loads of nuts, seeds and avocados. However, I do still eat these foods, just in small proportions.

VEGAN:

I eat no animal products. No fish, meat, eggs or dairy products. Did you know that you can not only survive but THRIVE without having to kill anything?

80/10/10 aka 811

*The "80" stands for:
80% or more of your food source should come from carbohydrates.
The main source should be fruit, as much as you like! (:
(You can never eat too much fruit and NO, you will NEVER get fat from eating fruit!)
The next source should be from soft greens, as much as you like! (:

*The first "10" stands for:
10% or less of your food source should come from protein.
Despite what you've heard from doctors and what society has taught us, you need very small amounts of protein to have optimal health and performance.
(Sadly, a lot of what we've been taught is "healthy" simpily is very unhealthy but is marketed in a way to make more money.)

*The second "10" stands for:
10% or less of your food source should be fat.
Fat is so heavy in the body that you only need a little to go a long way.
Too much fat in the diet can lead to A LOT of health problems and disease.
Eating too much fat is a common mistake a lot of raw foodist make. Eating too much fat is not healthy!

The verdict?
I've NEVER felt this amazing, had this much energy, performed this well, looked as good or had this much mental clarity in my whole life!
Life is GREAT! (:
AND I've NEVER enjoyed my food as much as I do now!

**If you want to learn more about the RLFV lifestyle, I recommend reading “80/10/10” by Dr. Douglas Graham and also check out the website “30bananasaday.com”.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 
Even though it’s winter that doesn’t mean that my meals have been boring! There are still plenty of fruits and vegetables in season and readily available for my consumption! (;

I usually go to the local market twice a week to stock up for my meals and snacks for the next three to four days.

Here are some of the delicious items I’ve been buying lately.

I also have a video on this. Click here to view.

 
I’ve been buying lots of bananas from the Canary Islands as they are in season year-round. I LOVE banana smoothies and also enjoy them as they are naturally! Sometimes I add a little cinnamon too.
(You want to eat bananas when they have brown spots - that's how you tell that they are ripe.) 





I have been buying clementines by the bulk because they are in season and taste SO amazing! I can eat 30 in one sitting, no problem!
Clementines with crushed kiwi. YUM!



I also have been enjoying oranges a lot lately because they are also in season. Fresh squeezed orange juice is fabulous!



The friendly guy at the market I normally buy most of my local fruit and veggies from has been getting some beautiful, sweet strawberries in. He knows I love them so much that he often gives me some for free! (:



I've found myself eating lots of pineapple for lunch lately. Making a mono meal out of it. It's so sweet - it takes like candy to me... natures candy! (;
(Mono meal is when you eat just one fruit at a time.)



I can't leave out my salads. It is very important to eat enough greens on a daily basis to make sure you're getting adequate amino acids. I usually have atleast one huge salad a day and man, are they good!

What have you been eating lately?
If you haven't been eating plenty of fresh, raw fruits and veggies, I hope this post inspired you to incorporate more into your daily meals and snacks!

Lots of love,
Liz

15 comments:

  1. Everything looks sooo delicious! My mouth just filled with saliva! I have two questions: Is this way of eating compatible with pregnancy? and also How does your husband adjust to your diet? Is he a vegan too? My husband would faint if I told him "no more meat at home"! lol. Take care, gorgeous!! Kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks so delicious, I really love clementines too, for some reason the past few weeks the bulk boxes I usually buy have had so many that were smashed or rotten :( I bought some singles and they were weirdly hard inside so idk if its the cold weather or what but I miss my clementines!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmmmmmmDELICIOUS.Can you eat pasta or rice?

    Now I am trying to loose some pounds,but my diet is different,because I eat a lot of fish, meat and vegetables.

    But I like your healthy life style.

    Saludos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a question... how would you or where would you buy fruits and vegetables in the states? Every time I go to the store (like Walmart) the prices are crazy and their aren't any organic options. Any advice?! (Your videos have seriously inspired me to live better especially for my daughter... we make all of her baby food now. No more preservatives!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous17.2.11

    cortney- try finding a sprouts near your area..i usually buy
    tons of organic produce for pretty cheap. Also look for sunflowers farmers market or even whole foods :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, strawberries and pineapple is one of my favorite combos of all time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Enide - Yes, to eat this way when your pregnant would be optimal for the health of the baby. I haven't read a lot about it but I know enough to know that this is the food a baby needs to be healthy, just like us. My husband eats about 80-85% raw but no, he's not a raw vegan. Compromise, patience, understanding & love is how we deal! lol! (:
    @ Jennifer - LOVE my clementines too. Maybe they have been that way because they are (sadly) going out of season. :(
    @ Kukutras 28 - I don't because I eat a raw diet. Both pasta and rice must be cooked. (;
    @ Courtney G - Try the Farmer's Market, Whole Foods & Trader Joes. Those will be your best bet but yes, fruits & vegetables are expensive in the states! :/
    @ Anonymous - Thanks for your help! (:
    @ Ashley - Mine too! (:

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Liz,
    I always watch your Youtube channels but never saw your blog before! I have 2 questions relating to your food! One is pretty silly- how do you keep your avocado from going brown if you only want to eat a small amount and save the rest to eat later? Secondly, do you drink any caffeine in your diet? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely delish looking. You did inspire :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Nina - I usually eat about 1/3 of an avocado at a time and then wrap up the rest and put it in the fridge. I usually don't have too much problems w/ it getting brown but sometimes I do have to throw some of it out! :/ No, I don't drink any caffeine - feel so much better without it! (:
    @ I_amEatingRight - Thanks! That makes me happy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Scarlett18.2.11

    I think it's everyones personal choice what they want to eat and I admire you for making such a strong stance. I've done a lot of my own research however and there are several key problems I have with a raw low fat vegan diet. The biggest one is the lack of omega 3s. Do you take a vegan supplement? They are scientifically proven to be one of the biggest factors in lowering the chances of getting chronic conditions ie diabetes etc. Also cooking certain vegetables increases their antioxidant capabilities ie cooked tomatoes have more lycopene than raw ones. I just wondered what your opinion was on these issues because I really do respect your opinion. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Scarlett - There are over 217 vegetables that are high in omega 3's - romaine, spinach, peppers, broccoli, squash, zucchini, onions, cabbage, & kale to name a few. There are also many fruits that are high in omega 3's - blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, melon, and lemons to name a few. I take a B12 supplement every 14 days but just had a blood test and do not even have low B12 levels. That is the only supplement I take. All my other levels were perfect. I would suggest for you to do a little more research in raw foods. Read "The Detox Miracle Sourcebook" by Dr. Robert Morse, "80/10/10" by Dr. Douglas Graham, and "The China Study" by Colin Campbell PhD. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need some help with snack ideas for school...I mean vegan snacks. I stay at the University so many hours, I just started a diet, and I don't want to return to the old lifestyle. On Mondays I stay at the University almost all the day.Any ideas for me? I'm new on your blog,you are gorgeous and your posts and videos are amazing and so helpfull!I will continue to watch them. I apologize for my English I'm not a native speaker.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post is truly amazing and inspiring. I love your phrase "mental clarity" because that is what I've been striving for in my lifestyle and daily living.

    Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your pics make me want to go run out to the produce aisle right now!! I love healthy eating too, your youtube and blog is sooooo great! I already wrote down some of your ideas and gonna try it out this week. You're so inspiring!!

    My favorite smoothie is flat leaf parsley, celery, kale, apple, and a splash of OJ all blended up. Now I must try your fruit salad dressing!

    Can't wait too see more from you! ^.^

    Miss Louie

    ReplyDelete